POWERGRID Advanced Research & Technology Centre (PARTeC)
POWERGRID had been taking Research and Technological Development works in the transmission sector through its own establishments scattered all over the country and also in collaborative mode through manufacturers. Need was felt to undertake full scale R&D activities by synergizing the expertise of various verticals to meet the challenges and face technological advancement elsewhere in the world for optimal, efficient and economic utilization of transmission system. Such R&D efforts would benefit significantly to enhance the performance, availability, reliability and efficient operation of the transmission system.
In line with the above goal, POWERGRID established the prestigious Advanced Research and Technology Centre (PARTeC) in district Gurugram, an ancient mythological town meaning a place of learning. PARTeC was inaugurated by the Minister of State (Independent charge), Ministry of Power & Energy on 18th Sep 2018. PARTeC brochure (PDF)
PARTeC has been recognized as a Research & Test infrastructure facility by the International Smart Grid Action Network (ISGAN) for testing, simulation studies and research related works in Distributed Energy Resources (DER) and Smart Grid research infrastructure. Click here for details.
PARTeC follows Quality Management System and is ISO 9001:2015 certified.
Real Time Simulation Laboratory
- The largest Real Time Simulator (RTS) facility in India with 2340 Nodes (13 racks).
- Capacity up-gradation to 5220 Nodes (29 Racks) by 2021.
- The Real Time Simulator (RTS) allows system transients to be studied in great detail over a wide frequency bandwidth and user specific requirements.
- The current interface capability is upgraded to SMART simulation system with capability of simulating Sampled Values for Dynamic Testing of Process Bus Compliant IEDs.
- RTS lab has been integrated with the Protection Automation and Control Lab and Wide Area Measurement Lab. Wide area protection schemes (IEDs, PMUs, FACTS etc.) testing using Hardware-in-loop facility in the integrated lab.
- Study of Impact of faults on HVAC/ HVDC system using RTS.
- Dynamic Testing of Intelligent Electronic Devices (IEDs) using RTS.
- Power System Transient Studies through PSCAD, EMTP-Rv.
- Steady State studies though PSS-E, PSS-SINCAL.
- Study of Impact of PV system integration on protection system using RTS.
Protection Automation & Control Laboratory
State-of-the-art laboratory to carry out conformance testing of IEC 61580 devices as per latest standards and with additional capabilities
- Design and Engineering of Digital Substations.
- IEC 61850 Conformance related testing and Interoperability Studies.
- Parallel Redundancy Protocol /High-availability Seamless Redundancy Testing of IEDs.
- Cyber Security, vulnerability assessment and audit of IEC 61850 systems.
- Specialized hands on trainings on IEC 61850 standard and digital substation to protection engineers.
Wide Area Measurement System (WAMS) Lab
Fast and Automated Calibration facility, which allows compliance testing of PMUs of various makes/model as per latest IEEE standard C37.118, IEEE Synchrophasor Measurement Test Suite Specification and Customized Test Cases.
Advanced Diagnostic Centre
- Comprises of Electrical/Electronics Diagnostics and Calibration Lab (EDC) & Field Measuring Instruments (FMI) lab.
- State-of-the-art instruments for field testing.
- Expert services for EHVAC/UHVAC equipment diagnosis and failure investigation.
- HVAC Electric & Magnetic Field Measurement and Analysis services for Lines.
- Residual Life Assessment studies.
- Electro-Technical Calibration of field equipment viz. Capacitance-Tan δ kit, Winding resistance measuring kit, Insulation testers, Energy meters, Multi-meters, Clamp-on meters, Temperature sensors, pressure gauges etc.
- Diagnosis and minor repairs of Electronic/printed circuit boards.
Material Science Laboratory
- X-ray diffractometer facilitated with Texture cradle and large area detector for characterizing crystalline materials.
- Thermo-gravimetric analysis (TGA) – Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) Spectroscopy: A powerful analytical technique that combines the qualitative capabilities of Thermo-gravimetric analysis (TGA) and the quantitative capabilities of Fourier-Transform Infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy – Capable of Thermal Analysis of Materials up to 1000°C.
- Structure failure and material analysis, quality assurance, in-service performances, validation and testing of new and in-service materials.
- Analysis of Composition, Ageing Process, Desorption Behavior, Decomposition of materials.
- Residual Stress Analysis, Phase Analysis and Crystallographic texture analysis.